Wednesday, August 22, 2007

july 30th 2007 - DR journal

Psalm 86:1-3

Bend down, O Lord and hear my prayer;
answer me, for I need your help.
Protect me, for I am devoted to you.
Save me, for I serve and trust you.
You are my God.
Be merciful, O Lord,

for I am calling on you constantly.

up bright and early at 5 am. aubrey decided that as long as 13 other people were in her room, it must be time to play. trying to keep a toddler from waking up a room full of people is quite a feat. i prayed through an hour of rocking her. when it was light enough in the room to see, i discovered that she was covered in bug bites. they were head to toe, so many it looked like chicken pox... the guilt set in. i had one bite on my knee and my poor baby was covered. what had i gotten her into? seems the mosquito got stuck in her pack & play and made a meal out of my baby. she hasn't complained though. the kid is amazing. takes everything in stride (that's her daddy's personality coming out).

we had our breakfast and our team climbed into a pick-up truck to head out to the schools and hand out supplies. the driver, susie, aubrey and i sat in the front (aubrey on my lap) and everyone else crowded into the back of the truck with the supplies.



i prayed up every hill and around every sharp turn, but we made it safely. we were warmly welcomed in each community. we were able to play games with the kids and "practice" our spanish. try teaching 10 kids card games in another language is interesting. i still don't know how to say "go fish" in spanish. the kids were sweet, they loved aubrey. they shared coconut meat with her (yeah, for peer pressure).


matt has been awesome. i get worn out easily (and tired, and hot). he has been great at anticipating my needs and being a strong shoulder to lean on. he and aubrey spent an entire hour or so together swimming in the river. aubrey made friends with a dominican boy who took on a "big brother" role and kept an eye on her while she played. thankfully, aubrey fell asleep in my arms on the way home. God has graciously provided a catnap for her each day.




we got home, took showers and headed out to dinner. we got to dip our feet in the ocean and eat pizza. (yeah!) it was a perfect end to a wonderful day.


No comments: