Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Very Young at Heart


today we celebrated my grandmom's 80th birthday. what an amazing woman and i love her dearly. for over 20 years she has lived not 5 miles from the house that i grew up in. she was the person i could always count on to pick me up from school if it was raining.... she would let 5 middle schoolers cram in the back of her sundance and give them all rides home. she would spend hours teaching me a craft skill....knitting, cross stitch, quilting....even though she knew i had the attention span of an 8 year old (because i was an 8 year old) and i would never finish it. she would cut the fronts off of all the cards that she received so that i could cut them apart and make pretty pictures with them. she let me touch every bell in her bell collection (most grandmoms wouldn't let you do that). she let me dress her in an afghan and tell her that she was the shepherd in my make believe christmas play (i was mary. pop-pop was joseph. oscar the dog was a sheep.) she made sure that i KNEW how much she loved me. i cannot imagine life without her. happy birthday GiGi!

1 comment:

Ice said...

WOW.... Happy Bday to her...and what a great great gift you have given her.... a great grandchild:) May you all be blessed